Sunday, August 5, 2007

Feels Like Home

We've been thinking about retirement, and more specifically where we might move when we retire. I've got a couple of more years to go, so at this point, there's no need for a quick decision, but the choice is on my mind.

To move, or not to move. That is the big question. On one hand, Anchorage is far away from everyone in my family, and it would be great to be closer. On the other hand, I've lived here my whole adult life and I'm not sure I can be happy anywhere else. We have friends, and a condo in a small neighborhood overlooking the water. What could be better than this?

While we were in Oregon this summer, we visited places where we might live. There was great scenery, great weather and great shopping, but no matter how much I love to travel, what I love most is that feeling of coming 'home.' I think Walt feels that in Oregon because he grew up there. I feel the same way when I visit Canada because that's where I grew up. I feel connected there even when we visit places in Canada where I never lived. But mostly, I feel that way about Anchorage, my home for over 30 years

I came to Alaska so many years ago when I was a wide-eyed 19-year-old, and from the first day, I had a sense of belonging. Over the years, electrons have ventured out of my body far enough to catch on to electrons from glacier ice, blue mountains, rich silty rivers, foraging moose, lines of geese, curious bears, dense blueberries and soft grey clouds. The connection I feel isn't just emotional -- it's physical at a molecular level. This is my place. There are no lines in nature -- it's all a blur.

Lots of people pick up and move. My ancestors climbed into small boats for the one way trip to America 400 years ago. I will never know why they fell so out-of-love with their homeland that they were willing to risk everything. Maybe they were naieve about how far in time and space they were going. They were called to come here and they must have found a new place called 'home' because they stayed. They do inspire me to be strong as I approach this crossroads.

I'm not even sure I'll leave. It used to be a 'rule,' that Alaskans retired 'Outside,' but nowadays, more of us are sticking around, or being SnowBirds. In any event, there's no rush. I've got the time for a well-savored decision, or two, and everything will turn out fine.

No comments:

Serena from Sioux City

Serena from Sioux City
Flying Wow-Wows are handsewn from dupioni silk while I fly around the country for work and to be with family