Sunday, October 7, 2007

Time Travelers


Sometimes I felt like we are time travelers. My earliest memories are so different from the way I live now, and they even come from a different century. I suppose every generation feels the same way, but it’s still hard to believe one family could have gone from horse-drawn sleighs to helicopters.

The long road forward has included all the pain and uncertainty it takes to grow up, but we can go back easily. Imagine we are driving down a dark summer road. Warm air rushes all of our memories in through open car windows; we hear, feel and smell them swirling around in the car. Many things flash by for an instant in the headlights, but on this journey, we only stop at bright spots – places that shine like welcoming yard lights at the ends of driveways.

We turn and drive up to the yard, climb out of the car, and stay as long as we want. We are welcome, no matter how long our journey.

2 comments:

Warkentin said...

Recently, I, too, was thinking about my childhood. My world seemed so simple then. Was that because I was young? Isolated on a farm? Raised in a closed community? Probably all of these things.

Knowledge gained via experiences, friends, observations, reading, etc. has helped me understand and see myself and the world in new ways. As a result, my world has become more interesting. Isn't it grand to gain knowledge!

As you have suggested, we can go back in time via our memories. Stated another way, we can bring past relationships and events forward – to our current time. They can 'time travel' with us in deep and moving ways.

I continue to enjoy reading the writings of Emily Carr. Written in the 1930's, her thoughts and persona have traveled into the future to greet me. Through the written word, I have become acquainted with someone who died before I was even born!

Until next time . . .NL

Linda P. said...

Hi NL:
So nice to see your post. I've been in Saskatchewan visiting Mom and the family there. After all of my trips, I've grown comfortable in my 'home land.' I never would have imagined I'd come to appreciate the beauty of the prairies so much. I've lived in mountains my whole adult life.

I seek to understand my 'roots' because I value the contributions of my ancestors. You are right that we bring memories forward -- I recognize that where I walk, my ancestors walk with me. I am the result and the sum of their strength and adaptability, and my daughter carries on in the same way. I recognize this through writings, photos and feelings I have upon returning to the place of my birth.

Serena from Sioux City

Serena from Sioux City
Flying Wow-Wows are handsewn from dupioni silk while I fly around the country for work and to be with family